domingo, 22 de enero de 2012

Chris Newman & Divining Rods (English Version)


Here is a short interview with Chris Newman, vocalist and lead guitarist for several bands such as Napalm Beach, Divining Rods, Snow Bud & The Flower People and Boo Frog.
Chris is also one of the leading musicians in the essence of grunge, and each of their bands keeps this essentially, of course each one brings something new.
In this interview we focus primarily on his band Divining Rods, about how they form and what is the environment that surrounds and inspires the music and lyrics.

Ikaro: What is the meaning of music in your life?
Chris Newman: Music has always defined where I was and what I was doing at the time. Especially when I starte` writing my own songs, which was from the beginning, at 13 years old. Most of it wasn't great, but it grew with my experience. Music writing came easy, but it took a while to develop my lyrical habilities.

I: How it arises Divining Rods (RD)
CN: Divining Rods was developed with my old Napalm Beach guitarist, Mark Nelson. David "Roach" Simmons on Keyboards. Joe Wickstrom on Bass, and Louie Samora on Drums.
I told them i wanted a band name with the word Divine, and Roach said, "Divining Rods" and i was like, "Yeah!"

I: Where does the name?
CN: The magic stick they used to look for water wells, and other things in the ground.

I: Did you have obstacles in the formation of DR?
CN: My biggest obstacle forming the band was, I was in Rehab for Men for 6 months, but they eventually let me out a few hours on week ends to practice with the guys, and even let me do a couple of shows while I was still in treatment.

I: What concepts are used in the albums "Key of H" and "Love Letter to the Dead"?*
CN: Me and a few friends got the money together to record and release "Love Letter To the Dead". While in treatment I was reunited on the internet with an old girlfriend, and soon she was up to meet me when i was released. We stayed in a hotel, and fell in love. I had to tell my wife of 15 years it was over. She was in a woman's rehab, and our life together was all about drugs and street crimes. It was a tainted marriage. I wrote "Love Letter" about my new Love, and Old.

"Key of H" was continuing the love story that went bad. The new love interest was a long distance affair, and when she was out of!20town, I was back to my old ways. We married after a year, but then she discovered my secrets.

I: what did you transmit in your songs?
CN: I try to transmit my emotions, tell a story, or share an experience through the music.

I: what did inspired you when you wrote, I Like Myself, Gut Fellin' or Alien Eyes?
CN: The song "I like Myself" was me seeing the difference in my attitude about myself with my new love, compared to myself on the streets of San Fransisco with my ex-wife, and our criminal lifestyle.
"Gut Feelin'" and "Alien Eyes" were songs about my new lova, and my obvious choice to leave the old one behind.

I: Someday DR return?
CN: The Divining Rods have split up for 4 years now. Roach left town and moved to the east coast. That was a good reason to stop. He was a major contributor to the band and it's sound. I do cover some Diving Rods songs in my acoustic shows, and still sell!20downloads and CD's.

I: For you, what are the diferences between DR and your other bands?
CN: It was unique band. The big 5 piece sound I dreamed about while i was in Jail and treatment, was realized,

I: A memorable moment in DR?
CN: We did some great live shows. Opened for bands like Mudhoney (twice), Dead Moon, Bellrays, Detroit Cobras,etc.

I: Something else that you want to told us about Divining Rods?
CN: Diving Rods will always have sentimental value for me. It was time in my life when I was coming out of the dark and streets, drugs, crime and embracing a new life and love. Music saved my life.

Here is a video of Divining Rods performing "I Like Myself", you can find him on Myspace, Facebook and in the youtube channel "skullmanrecords" 




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Opiniones, alucinaciones, ideas y mas de los lectores...